Please try our next iteration of the Michigan Flora Online here. Beginning on February 1, 2023, michiganflora.net will point to this new site.
The new site offers several benefits over the existing website, including real coordinate mapping, giving a clearer view of the density of documentation as well as more precision about plant distributions and their link to landforms. We will also have the ability to update species pages more regularly, both in terms of new collections and as more existing Michigan specimens are georeferenced. In addition, we have a better photo display, and offer indented keys.
A distinctive genus of wetland plants.
1. Corolla bluish to purple; stems 4-angled; leaves pinnately veined (with lateral veins arising all along the midrib); stems and pedicels glabrous.
2. Leaves petioled; pedicels (even in fruit) shorter than the calyx.
2. Leaves sessile, ± clasping; pedicels longer than the calyx.
1. Corolla yellow; stems terete or many-ridged but not square in cross-section; leaves nearly or quite palmately veined (with lateral veins all near or at the base of the blade); stems and pedicels glabrous or pubescent.
3. Plant ± densely viscid-pubescent (with many hairs exceeding 0.5 mm); calyx lobes slightly unequal, half to fully as long as the tube; corolla nearly regular.
3. Plant glabrous or with minute, often gland-tipped hairs up to 0.5 mm long; calyx lobes very unequal, only the upper large one ever as much as half as long as the tube; corolla 2-lipped.
4. Corolla ca. 3–4.5 cm long, the throat nearly closed by the up-arching lower lip; style ca. 20–25 mm long; plant pubescent with minute eglandular hairs on calyx, pedicels, and stems.
4. Corolla 0.8–2.7 cm long, the throat open; style less than 14 mm long; plant glabrous or with minute usually glandular hairs (rarely as long as 0.5 mm).
5. Style ca. 3–5 (–6) mm long.
5. Style ca. (6–) 8–11 (–14) mm long.
All species found in Mimulus
MICHIGAN FLORA ONLINE. A. A. Reznicek, E. G. Voss, & B. S. Walters. February 2011. University of Michigan. Web. January 29, 2023. https://www.michiganflora.net/genus.aspx?id=Mimulus.